Academic Fundamentals (A,B,C,D)
Each Academic Fundamentals class (A-D) focuses on a specific subfield of science and engineering (for example, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Technology, etc.), and reviews and builds on the concepts which students have studied in high school. We will focus on the English skills and knowledge required to understand lectures and readings on the fundamental concepts of the subject. In this class, students will be required to read texts and listen to lectures on field-specific topics, discuss the topics with other students, solve problems, and make presentations to others.
- Understand basic concepts of the given field
- Develop field specific English vocabulary knowledge
- Apply concepts and solve problems
- Listen to and comprehend lectures in the given field
- Read and comprehend textbook texts and worked examples in the given field
- Comprehension Strategies (Q&A and Discussion)
- Be able to explain field-specific concepts to others in English
Specific details related to each class are available on the respective Waseda Moodle course pages.
- See the individual Waseda Moodle pages for each class for details.
Assessment and grading
Throughout the course, the following assessment tools will be used to evaluate whether students are meeting the criteria of each course goal. Specific details related to each class are available on the Waseda Moodle course pages. Assessment tools include;
- Quizzes (reading and lecture comprehension, note-taking, summary writing, vocabulary)
- Written assignments
- Homework assignments
- Active participation in class activities including discussions and Q&A sessions
- Test Absence Policy