The following publications include journal articles and books that are recommended by the Waseda University science and engineering faculty. They represent publications that are historically relevant, are current hot topics, or otherwise provide a good introduction to the various specialist fields listed here. These are authentic specialist materials, so students and teachers should preview them before committing to reading them in order to see if the difficulty level is suitable.
Fundamental Science and Engineering (基幹理工)
Applied Mathematics (応用数理学)
Applied Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering (機械科学・航空学)
- J.D. Anderson (2012) Introduction to Flight, 7th Edition. McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math.
- M. Connors, P. Wiegert, and C. Veillet (2011) Earth’s Trojan asteroid. Nature 475, 481–483.
- R.T. Jones (1946) Properties of low-aspect-ratio pointed wings at speeds below and above the speed of sound. NACA Technical Report 835, NASA Technical Reports.
- M.E. Möbius, B.E. Lauderdale, S.R. Nagel, and H.M. Jaeger (2001) Brazil-nut effect: Size separation of granular particles. Nature 414, 270.
- H.K. Moffatt and Y. Shimomura (2002) Classical dynamics: Spinning eggs — a paradox resolved. Nature 416, 385-386.
- T.J. Mueller and S.M. Batil. (1982) Experimental Studies of Separation on a Two-Dimensional Airfoil at Low Reynolds Numbers, AIAA Journal, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 457-463.
- W.F. Smith and J. Hashemi (2010) Foundations of Materials Science and Engineering, 5th Edition. McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math.
Electronic and Photonic Systems (電子光システム学)
- S. Iijima and T. Ichihashi (1993) Single-shell carbon nanotubes of 1-nm diameter. Nature 363, 603 – 605 (17 June 1993)
- B.E. Kane (1998) A silicon-based nuclear spin quantum computer. Nature 393, 133-137 (14 May 1998)
- K.S. Novoselov, A.K. Geim, S.V. Morozov, D. Jiang, Y. Zhang, S.V. Dubonos, I.V. Grigorieva, and A.A. Firsov (2004) Electric Field Effect in Atomically Thin Carbon Films. Science 22 October 2004: 306 (5696), 666-669.
- A. Sedra and K.C. Smith (2009) Microelectronic Circuits, Sixth Edition. Oxford University Press.
Computer Science and Engineering (情報理工学)
- G.M. Amdahl (2013) Computer Architecture and Amdahl’s Law. Computer, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 38-46, Dec. 2013.
- J.G. Brookshear (2011) Computer Science: An Overview, 11th Edition. Prentice Hall.
- V. Bush (July 1945). As We May Think. The Atlantic.
- T. Makimoto (2013) Implications of Makimoto’s Wave. Computer, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 32-37, Dec. 2013
- R. White and T. Downs (2007) How Computers Work, 9th Edition. Que Publishing.
Communications and Computer Engineering (情報通信学)
- J. Proakis and M. Salehi (2007) Digital Communications, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math.
- T.S. Rappaport (2009) Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice, Dorling Kindersley.
- S. Schwarz, R. Olsson, and M. Sjostrom (2013) Depth Sensing for 3DTV: A Survey. IEEE Multimedia, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 10-17, Oct.-Dec. 2013.
- C.E. Shannon (1948) A Mathematical Theory of Communication. Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 379–423, July 1948.
- A.J. Viterbi (2006) A personal history of the Viterbi algorithm. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 120-142.
Intermedia Art and Science (表現工学)
- A.G. Bell (1880) On the Production and Reproduction of Sound. AJS Online, October 1880 vol. Series 3 Vol. 20 no. 118 305-324.
- A.V Oppenheim and R.W. Schafer (1974) Digital Signal Processing. Prentice-Hall.
- J.W.S. Rayleigh (1896) The Theory of Sound, Volume One. Dover Books on Physics.
Creative Science and Engineering (創造理工)
- C. Alexander (1965) A city is not a tree. Architectural Forum, Vol 122, No 1, April 1965, pp 58-62 (Part I), Vol 122, No 2, May 1965, pp 58-62 (Part II).
- S. Brand (1995) How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They’re Built. Penguin Books
- A. Brown (2009) Just Enough: Lessons in Living Green from Traditional Japan. Kodansha International.
- P.O. Fanger (1973) Assessment of man’s thermal comfort in practice. British Journal Industrial Medicine,30:313-324
- G. Kubler (2008) The Shape of Time: Remarks on the History of Things. Yale University Press.
- P. Rice (1996) An Engineer Imagines. Ellipsis Press.
- Y. Zenno and J. Shah, Eds. (2006) Round 1: Jewels – Selected Writings on Modern Architecture from Asia. Acetate.
Modern Mechanical Engineering (総合機械工学)
- J.P. Den Hartog (1961) Mechanics, Dover Publications.
- S. Timoshenko and D.H. Young (1937) Engineering mechanics: Dynamics, McGraw-Hill book company.
- Industrial and Management Systems Engineering (経営システム工学)
- I. Dianat, N. Sorkhi, A. Pourhossein, A. Alipour, and M. Asghari-Jafarabadi (2014) Neck, shoulder and low back pain in secondary schoolchildren in relation to schoolbag carriage: Should the recommended weight limits be gender-specific? Applied Ergonomics, Volume 45, Issue 3, Pages 437-442.
- H. Fleuren, C. Goossens, M. Hendriks, M-C. Lombard, I. Meuffels, and J. Poppelaars (2013) Supply Chain–Wide Optimization at TNT Express. Interfaces 43(1):5-20.
- J.G. Hall, L. Rapanotti, and M. Jackson (2005) Problem frame semantics for software development. Software & Systems Modeling, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp 189-198.
- F.R. Jacobs and R.B. Chase (2014) Operations and Supply Chain Management, 14th Edition. McGraw Hill Higher Education.
Civil and Environmental Engineering (社会環境工学)
- A.M. Neville (2011) Properties of Concrete, 5th Edition. Pearson Education/Trans-Atlantic Publications.
- K. Terzaghi, R.B. Peck, G. Mesri (1996) Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice, 3rd Edition. John Wiley & Sons.
- Resources and Environmental Engineering (環境資源工学)
- W. Stumm and J.J. Morgan (1995) Aquatic Chemistry: Chemical Equilibria and Rates in Natural Waters, 3rd ed, Wiley.
Socio-Cultural Studies (社会文化領域)
- S. Nolen-Hoeksema, B.L. Fredrickson, G.R. Loftus, W.A. Wagenaar (2009).Atkinson & Hilgard’s introduction to psychology (15th ed.). Wadsworth Publishing.
- S. Scotchmer (2006) Innovation and Incentives. MIT Press.
- G. Simmel (1950) The Metropolis and Mental Life. The Sociology of Georg Simmel, (Translated and Edited by Kurt H. Wolff), pp. 409-424, New York; Free Press.
- Advanced Science and Engineering (先進理工)
- This Month in Physics History. American Physical Society (APS).
Applied Physics (応用物理学)
- This Month in Physics History. American Physical Society (APS).
Chemistry and Biochemistry (化学・生命化学)
- P. Atkins and J. de Paula (2014) Atkins’ Physical Chemistry, 10th ed., Oxford University Press.
- D.A. McQuarrie and J.D. Simon (1997) Physical Chemistry A Molecular Approach, University Science Books.
- N.J. Tro (2014) Chemistry: A Molecular Approach, 3rd ed. Pearson Higher Education.
Applied Chemistry (応用化学)
- J.W. Hill, T.W. McCreary, D.K. Kolb (2010) Chemistry for Changing Times, 12th ed, Pearson Education Inc.
- H.W. Kroto, J.R. Heath, S.C. O’Brien, R.F. Curl, R.E. Smalley (1985) C60: Buckminsterfullerene, Nature, 318:162-163 (14 November 1985).
- C.J. Pederson (1967) Cyclic polyethers and their complexes with metal salts, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 89(10):2495–2496.
- H. Shirakawa, E.J. Louis, A.G. MacDiarmid, C.K. Chiang, and A.J. Heeger (1977) Synthesis of electrically conducting organic polymers: halogen derivatives of polyacetylene, (CH)x, Journal of the Chemical Society, Chemical Communications,16:578-580.
Life Science and Medical Bioscience (生命医科学)
- B. Alberts, A. Johnson, J. Lewis, M. Raff, K. Roberts, and P. Walter (2007) Molecular Biology of The Cell. Garland Science.
- L. Huynen, C.D. Millar, and D.M. Lambert (2012) Resurrecting ancient animal genomes: The extinct moa and more. Bioessays, 34: 661–669.
- R. Martín, S. Miquel, J. Ulmer, N. Kechaou, P. Langella and L.G. Bermúdez-Humarán (2013) Role of commensal and probiotic bacteria in human health: a focus on inflammatory bowel disease. Microbial Cell Factories, 12:71.
- J. Werfel, K. Petersen, and R. Nagpal (2014) Designing Collective Behavior in a Termite-Inspired Robot Construction Team. Science 14 February 2014: 343 (6172), 754-758.
Electrical Engineering and Bioscience (電気・情報生命工学)
- K.J. Åström and R.M. Murray (2008) Feedback Systems: An Introduction for Scientists and Engineers. Princeton University Press. (Chapters 1-3)
- J. Cohen (2014) Cancer Genes Help HIV Persist, Complicating Cure Efforts. Science: 343 (6176), 1188.
- D.J. Griffiths (2012) Introduction to Electrodynamics, 4th Edition. Addison-Wesley.